Tweet Tweet, Merry Merry

Happy Tuesday! Can you believe it's officially less than a month until Christmas? I haven't started decorating yet, but I'm finally getting inspired to make Christmas cards! Today I want to share a couple fun cards I made with Dina Wakley's set Scribbly Holiday Birdie 2. I was so excited to see this set released in cling this year, as I got it as a limited release in clear a couple years ago and it's a really fun one! For today's cards, I worked with just one of the birdies, making two similar cards. I hope they make you smile :)

The Basics

On my first card, I used a background I had previously stamped using my Snowflakes Turnabout stamp by Concord & 9th. I chose 2 shades of red and 2 shades of green Distress Oxide to stamp with for a bright & cheery background. I typically don't work with a lot of red & green (together) on my Christmas cards, so I chose the brighter of the greens to highlight here for a whimsical twist.

This bird is pretty good size- the square watercolor panel I stamped on is 4x4" and there are three different hats included in the set. I stamped in permanent ink and colored him 'scribbly' style with Dina's Scribble Sticks, then blended with a water brush. The hat was stamped separately and layered over my bird for extra dimension (I added a foam square under the pom-pom).


The Details

This cute sentiment 'tweet tweet merry merry' comes with the Holiday Birdie Stamp set. When I pulled it off to use it, I realized I had trimmed it so I could use one of the 'merry' words separately. I decided to leave that word off and add a Shadow Script die cut to complete the sentiment. The sentiment & Holly berries were both embossed with Wow Apple Red embossing powder.
I stamped the holly leaves on book print and layered them onto cardstock for a bit more stability. To finish off the card, I added some glitter as well as some fun red & white twine from my stash.

Snow Birdie

My second card has the same birdie with bold, grungy snowflakes (an old Tim Holtz stamp set) in the background! I love this fun red hat! Together with the red embossed sentiment and red & white twine, it gives some fun pops of colour.



I finished this card off with a little bit more glitter and some bling. Since I smudged some ink on the bottom of my white panel, I also added a wash of color for the birdie to stand on ;)

I hope my Merry Birdie cards make you smile! I've still got another hat I colored up, ready to go... so watch for it on an upcoming card!

Inky hugs,
Tara



Comments