I created this card for our January SNS Blog Hop and I'm trying my best to share all of my Valentine's creations here on my personal blog before the holiday has come & gone :)
I had a hard time getting started on this card... really hadn't picked up any of the amazing new Valentine's Day products yet, so I was looking for a fresh idea to use the products I already had to fit the theme! I decided to go for it with the 'air' part of the theme and started thinking about birds & butterflies... and finally decided to see if I could create a heart full of a variety of fabulous die cuts! I started with gathering up some dies I thought might have something I could use- words, birds, flowers, butterflies... The dies I chose were all from Memory Box & Sizzix and included a variety of sizes for me to work with.
Memory Box: Fancy Blossoms, Butterfly Delights, Resting Birds
Tim Holtz/Sizzix: Feather & Ravens, Funky Florals #2, Handwritten Love, 1" Alpha Numeric
Next I inked up some watercolor card stock with a variety of Distress Ink. I chose reds & corals for this project, and blended them with lots of water for a vibrant base.
My colors were Distress Ink: Festive Berries, Abandoned Coral, Ripe Persimmon, Candied Apple
Once the background was dry I placed it on my magnetic platform for my Sizzix Big Shot (a life saver when working with so many different pieces!) and fit as many shapes as I could onto the paper, then ran it through the Big Shot twice to make sure the detailed designs cut through the textured paper.
I did a rough heart shape cut by hand from some scrap paper and used it as my template to figure out a layout. Because of the large size of my ravens, I decided to use a 5x7 card as my base. Once i was satisfied with the design, I started arranging them on the background I had stamped (C-A-C Script Cover a Card background by Impression Obsession) and inked already.
I kept the rest of the card very simple, adding a pearl layer on the kraft base. I added some clear rhinestones and Nuvo Glitter Drops in some of the open spaces of my design and finished it off with a bit of red foil around the edges of the heart design as well.
It was a fun project that used lots of patience and my trusty glue pen!