Woodgrain Wishes

 Happy Tuesday!

Today's challenge word over on the SNS Challenge page on FB is 'Woodgrain' so it was the perfect chance for me to use the Lumber 3D embossing folder by Tim Holtz!  I've been trying to increase my stash of birthday cards, so I decided to keep things pretty simple and pair it with this gorgeous Birthday Wishes die by MFT.  Together, I think they make a fab little card that can be used for almost anyone!

For the embossed background, I started with some ivory card stock and Ground Espresso Distress Oxide, which I applied directly to the front side of the embossing folder so it would add color to the recessed portions of the design.  Here's how it came out directly from the embossing folder.

I then used a blending tool to apply the same ink lightly over the entire background and misted it lightly with water.  I left the water splotches as they were for added texture, but also warmed things up a bit with Vintage Photo Distress Oxide in the lighter areas.

I die cut the sentiment out of a cilantro green card stock that was a few shades lighter than my card base, then inked part of it with Mowed Lawn Distress Oxide Ink to give a subtle ombre effect.  I used Sticky Dots Adhesive Sheets to adhere it to the woodgrain panel, since it's one of the easiest ways to adhere detailed die cuts like this one.

I decided to add just a small autumn touch to the card with a single leaf from the new MFT Autumn Blessings Stamp & Die set, which I stamped in Archival Ink & watercolored with Distress Inks. (In my experimenting I was reminded that regular Distress Ink is much better than Distress Oxide for vibrant watercolor.) In the die cutting process I somehow lost the dots from my i's, so I pulled it all together with a bit of yellow bling and some yellow & green thin twine.

I hope you like my little card, and the little peek at the autumn leaves... you'll be seeing more of them next week ;)

Inky hugs,

Tara

 

Comments