Joseph's Coat Technique

Hi, thanks for stopping by!  I'm sharing some cards over on the SNS blog today, but hit a block when I tried to add my little tutorial on how I created these fabulous backgrounds... so I'm sharing it here instead!  Hope you enjoy it and get a chance to try out my ColorBurst & Distress Oxide twist on the fun Joseph's Coat Technique! 

Here's a quick summary of the steps I took to get this gorgeous tropical design!

1. I started with a background I had made using ColorBurst pigment powders in green, blue & yellow.  Once I selected the images I would use (solid & outline leaves- but a full background image works perfect for this step), I clear embossed them over the prepared card stock.

2. Apply Distress Oxide Ink over the entire paper.  I used vibrant shades of green & blue.

3. Mist with water and wipe away excess ink from embossed images.  This step also blended and softened the inks I had just applied.

 I was left with a pretty shade of teal on my background, but it wasn't enough contrast for what I had in mind.. so I took a risk and moved on to the next step.

4. Apply brown Distress Oxide directly over the background.  I was aiming for a sort of wood grain look at first, which didn't happen.

5. When I wiped away the ink from the embossed images with a wet cloth, I was in awe of the pretty, smokey grey color that resulted!

6. Splatter some water across the paper to get some fun oxidized spots showing up.

7. Add more texture to the open spaces (between the leaves) with a few background images and shades of Distress Oxide in soft, neutral shades.

I made two cards with this piece of background paper, keeping them both very simple to let the design stand out!  You can see them both over on the SNS blog- enjoy! 

Inky hugs, 
Tara


Comments