A Cardinal for Christmas


Today I’m sharing two cards that I created together. The design is the same, but the way I cut the background papers meant I could easily duplicate the card with just a slight variation.
The focal point of the card is a combination of the new Retro Merry Christmas die by Tim Holtz and a smaller version of the cardinal stamp by Dina Wakely.  I was pretty delighted to find how well they fit together šŸ˜‰
The letters were simply die cut from black card stock (with Be Creative Tape on the back for easy gluing). I stamped the cardinal multiple times on white card stock and inked it up with a couple shades of red Distress Ink, just using an ink blending tool.  I avoided the beak and legs and used Distress Markers to add color there.  I used a black stablio pencil (blends easily with water and fingers!) around his eyes so he really looks like a cardinal, then finished him off with some Nuvo glitter drops to highlight his eye.
The background of the card features double sided paper from an old Christmas paper pack by Tim Holtz.  I cut two pieces to the size of my card base, then rotated them and trimmed them both at the same angle.  I then was able to flip the top portion and alternate patterns on my cards.  On the ‘solid’ part, I added  some stamped greenery (Tim Holtz) and text (Artful stamper).  Some rustic ribbon and die cut holly leaves with a touch of red bling finish off the card.
As you can see I also pulled out a ‘stitch’ stamp to add a bit of detail to the top portion of the card.
I hope you like it!  These came together fairly quickly once I had my concept, and I really love the simple, bold features.  One of my favorite things about my home in the south is seeing cardinals in my own front yard on a regular basis.  They have always been a favorite seasonal symbol for me šŸ™‚
Wishing you a blessed week as you prepare for Christmas…
Inky hugs,
Tara

Materials Used: 
Tim Holtz Retro Merry Christmas Die
Dina Wakley Birds on Branches (I’ve used a limited edition smaller version of the stamp)
Tim Holtz Holly die
Distress Ink in Candied Apple & Fired Brick, Vintage Photo & Forest Moss
Assorted Distress Markers
Double Sided Christmas paper (I used an OLD pad by Tim Holtz)
Silent Night Text Stamp by Artful Stamper
Greenery Stamp by Tim Holtz
Be Creative Tape
Red Bling
Rustic Ribbon
Nuvo Glitter Drops in Blizzard
Black Stablio Pencil

Comments