Gelato Flower Tutorial

Hi! I'm here today to share a quick tutorial (inspired by Balzer) for the flowers I shared in my last post! You'll notice right away that this tutorial shows a different coloured flower... which you'll see on another project soon, but the process is the same. These were quick and fun to make, hope you'll try them!  

First, cut multiple 'wonky' circles from a lightweight paper.  I chose the new antique papers by Bazzill Basics, but you could use actual vintage book paper, newspaper or sheet music... (note that newspaper may bleed and it is not acid free, if you're planning to use these on a scrapbook page).  I used some offset circle dies from Lifestyle Crafts/QuicKutz but you could also hand cut circles in various sizes.

Stack up your circles and attach them together with a brad.
Pull out some Gelatos by Faber Castel and colour your flowers!  I coloured directly on my flowers as well as using my craft sheet as a palette (mist water directly over the scribbles) and a brush to get them nice and wet with these fun watercolors.
Once you're happy with the colour, take a heat tool to your wet flowers.  This should cause them to curl slightly, but go ahead and help them along by bending them and adding some wrinkles.

Your final touch is to add some Distress Ink- I chose brown to finish them off.  Don't be too gentle... these are not dainty flowers we're making here :) Rotate your layers as you go, revealing more of the still white paper layers peeking underneath to add some depth.
FYI, my larger flower has about 9 layers and my small one has about 5.

Comments

Kim said…
Love this! Thanks for the tutorial!
~Kim