July SOTM: Big Guy Grilling

I'm back with our set of samples for the July SOTM! The 'Big Guy Grilling' is just perfect for guy birthdays this summer, as well as BBQ invitations and more! I love the personality the artist, Mo Manning, has given this guy- doesn't he look pleased with himself and his meat masterpiece? LOL. This stamp is by Stamping Bella and is available to our SOTM members 35% off! All the cards this month feature the "Father & Son" paper collection by Fancy Pants.
It can be really hard to get creative with guy cards, so I'm always on the lookout for embellishments that will work on masculine projects! I love the new 'small details' embellishments by Basic Grey for that reason! When I saw the crown detail on the kraft set, I knew I had to do a 'king of the grill' card :) I've coloured the image with Copics (& had fun adding texture to his shirt with a mini mister full of blending solution and a paper napkin!) and layered it on a kraft patterned paper by Basic Grey. My letters are the 'Chickadee' font by QuicKutz. I added a bit of thin twine.... just cuz I needed to embellish :) LOVE that thin twine, by the way- it's a great addition to projects and it's a steal at 10 cents a yard!
Mom whipped up this cute card by embossing our SOTM in black on kraft cardstock. The adorable BBQ is from last years QK "enjoy" gift set and it's perfect accented with a silver pen. A touch of thread adds texture.
Here's the card I gave you a peek at yesterday- it's a pretty simple card based on a sketch from the Paper Crafts "Go To Sketches" idea book. I paper pieced the Big Guy's shift with the plaid patterned paper, cut it at the 'buttons' and distressed it a bit with my finger nail :) I added a few highlights with my Copics before adhering it over the image I had already coloured. This image was my first try using the dotted background look I've been seeing all over the place lately. It was a fun way to finish him off and add interest to a mostly 'flat' card! My hot dog is another fun shape from the QK 'enjoy' gift set & the sentiment is by Art Impressions.
This card was kinda a join effort between mom & I. We told my dad it's his birthday card (he turns 55 this month) but we're hanging it on the wall. We'll probably make him another, but we're covered if it doesn't happen, right? The Big Guy has a paper pieced shirt again and it's pretty self explanatory beyond that! I used a Tim Holtz embossing folder on the patterned paper and added this funky mesh ribbon we got in. Mom cut out the '55' and stitched it to the sentiment for a unique touch! This card is very loosely based on an old Mojo Monday sketch I had in my inspiration binder :) Love that 'hot diggity dog' sentiment by Amuse!
Hope these cards inspire you to find ways to add texture and interest to 'guy' cards- there's a whole series of 'Big Guy' images in the store (well, there was... I'm not positive how many are left!) as well as a bunch of other fab ones by Mo Manning!

Have a creative day!

Comments